Access Opera: Carmen
Fri 16 Jun 2023
Running time: 2 hours, including one interval
Access Carmen: Relaxed Performance
Join us for a fully staged version of Carmen, specially created for those who enjoy a more relaxed opera experience.
If a full-length opera doesn’t feel like the right fit, our afternoon Access performances give you the flexibility and freedom to relax, move about as required, and have a fantastic time!
Access performances are open to all and make coming to a favourite opera as easy and stress-free as possible. With full cast and orchestra and narration to take you through the story, there are extra staff on hand to help and a smaller capacity to allow everyone space. So whether you’re living with dementia or Long COVID, recovering from an operation, struggling to get out to evening performances or would simply benefit from the more relaxed atmosphere, you can enjoy everything opera has to offer.
More about the show…
Georges Bizet’s classic opera of jealousy, lust, and life outside the dictates of society gets a boldly updated new production to conclude Scottish Opera’s 60th Season.
With such hit melodies as the Habanera, Flower Aria, and Toreador Song – alongside Bizet’s magnificent orchestral interludes and rousing chorus numbers – the opera has musical riches for all.
Sung in English with English supertitles
Translation by Christopher Cowell
What makes an Access Scottish Opera Performance...
- Performances have a maximum running time of 2 hours, including a 30-minute interval, with all the best music
- Afternoon start times for easier travel
- A narrator guides you through the story, with The Orchestra of Scottish Opera and cast
- Welcoming front-of-house staff who have undergone training provided by Alzheimer’s Scotland
- Doors open 45 minutes before the start – so there’s lots of time to get settled in
- Wheelchair spaces and extra staff on hand to help if you want to transfer
- Brighter lighting levels in the auditorium
- No need to keep quiet or sit still; you can come in and out of the auditorium during the show
- Lower capacity to allow everyone extra space
- Watch the live show on TV screens around the theatre if you need to
- Quiet areas are available if you need to take a break
- Enjoy tea and cake in the café beforehand!
Tickets from £10.00*
Fri 16 Jun 3:00 PM
Capital Theatres aim to be accessible to all. We are committed to making your visit to our theatres as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. All of our Front of House staff undergo disability awareness training and Dementia Friend Training and will be pleased to assist you should you require any information or help.
Essential Carers go free - please phone the Box Office during Mon-Fri, 11am-3pm on 0131 529 6000, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book.
Groups (8+) £6 off Stalls and Dress (Excluding Fri & Sat eve) Please note groups cannot be booked online. If you wish to book a Group, please contact our dedicated Groups email, email@example.com
Concessions £3 off. (Excluding Fri & Sat eve) Concessions are limited to one per person and may be withdrawn at any time.
Under 26s £10 tickets. Subject to availability and with a valid ID.
Student Standby £10 tickets. (Excluding Fri & Sat eve) Available on the day after 12pm from the Box Office at the Festival Theatre with a valid ID.
School Groups £10, 1 adult free with every 10 children. (Excluding Fri & Sat eves) Please contact the Box Office Groups Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 529 6005 to book.
Discounts are available to people with disabilities, please call box office to buy your tickets. If you would like to book a wheelchair space or if you have any special requirements, please phone the box office who can advise.
- Our staff can be called on 0131 529 6000
- by using Text Relay on 18002 0131 529 6003
- or email at email@example.com.
* Student Standby tickets are subject to availability on the day of the performance and can only be purchased in person at the Box Office from 12pm. A valid Student or Young Scot ID is required. Only one ticket per card.
All discounts may be withdrawn at any time.
Shows you might like View all shows
Scottish Opera: Bizet's CarmenOperaFri 9 to Sat 17 Jun 2023
Scottish Opera: The Barber of SevilleOpera
Fri 3 , Sun 5 , Wed 8 & Sat 11 November 2023
Access Opera: The Barber of SevilleOpera
Thu 9 November 2023