Capital Theatres – Inspiring a Lifelong Love of Theatre
In celebration of #InspiringFutureTheatre Day 2019, on Wednesday 3 July here are some of the things we do to inspire a love of theatre amongst children and young people
- Weekly creative sessions for 2-5 year olds to explore multiple art forms. Wee Creatives is all about first steps in the arts, plus ideas and inspiration for continuing creativity at home. Sessions start back in September
- We have a programme of relaxed and inclusive performances running throughout the year so that children and young people with additional support needs and their friends and family can enjoy theatre in a relaxed and supported environment.
- We work with schools and community groups to create opportunities for children and young people to perform on our stages, providing every support we can to ensure they get the very best from the experience.
- For many years, Capital Theatres has worked in partnership with City of Edinburgh Council, giving 500 panto tickets a year to care-experienced children, young people and the adults in their lives. From 2018, we’re developing this partnership to support care-experienced children and young people to enjoy the arts, as audience members and young artists.
- Every year we take the magic of panto into the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in the ‘Panto Presents’ project, a programme of play activities, workshops and performance for children in hospital over the festive season.
- In 2018, we hosted the IGLYO conference, the annual meeting of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Intersex (LGBTQI) youth and student organisation and the largest LGBTQI youth and student network in the world, with over 95 members from over 40 countries.
- We offer a full-range of activities specially designed for children and their grown-ups, from workshops, activities and shows. Theatre performance for all age groups, backstage tours to explore our buildings and workshops to learn and develop new skills.
- We provide bespoke tours for Schools, CPD sessions to help inspire teachers and discounts for school groups attending our shows.
- In 2018-19, we had 12, 896 school attenders, we issued 25, 873 Child tickets and 3, 063 Student / Young Scot standby tickets.
- We take part in the annual Careers in Theatre event for Schools and Colleges to give young people an idea of the kinds of career opportunities available in the industry.
- Every Spring we stage an exhibition of Costume Design by the students at Edinburgh College to showcase the incredible skill and artistry of young people about to join the industry.
- We offer a 20% discount in our Café and £10 standby tickets for students to help make a visit to the theatre as accessible and affordable as possible.